ClassNK earns authorization from Lithuania
Tokyo – ClassNK (Chairman and President： Noboru Ueda – pictured) has announced that it signed an agreement with the Lithuanian Maritime Safety Administration on 14 June 2012 granting ClassNK the authority to conduct statutory certifications on behalf of the flag administration.
Under the agreement, the Tokyo-based classification society is now authorized to perform surveys and issue certificates in accordance with SOLAS, MARPOL, Load Line, TM69 and other international conventions on behalf of the Lithuanian flag.
This agreement makes Lithuania the 105th flag administration to delegate authority for statutory certifications to ClassNK, which became the world’s first classification to have more than 200 million gross tons on its register in May 2012.
According to IHS-Fairplay’s “World Fleet Statistics”, 96 vessels totaling 406, 780 gross tons are registered to the Lithuanian flag; also:
ClassNK releases New rule Amendments
Tokyo – ClassNK (Chairman and President: Noboru Ueda) has announced the release of new amendments to the ClassNK Rules on 15 June 2012.
ClassNK constantly reevaluates its Technical Rules and Guidances in order to respond to requests from the maritime industry, incorporate R & D results and feedback from damage investigations, and address new regulations as well as amendments to international conventions and IACS unified requirements.
New amendments to the ClassNK rules released this time include:
(1) New Notations for ships with special equipment based on requests from the maritime industry
(2) Amendments related to the cantilevered structure of general cargo ships based on the results of ClassNK research and development projects
(3) Amendments related the structural reinforcement of the bow of blunt vessels based on feedback from damage investigations
(4) Amendments related to transfer equipment transfer for marine pilots to address new regulations and amendments to international conventions
(5) Amendments related to IACS Common Structural Rules (CSR) in order to incorporate amendments to IACS unified requirements
The full text of these amendments is available on the ClassNK website (http://www.classnk.or.jp) via the “Rules Amendments” section of the ClassNK My Page system (registration required).