John Faraclas’ live interview to Panos Thomakos at SBC TV studios last Friday the 4th of January 2013, tackled the following issues:
1. The low market levels with the BDI reaching even below the 700 points mark (698). The 4 points rise to 702 was though a welcome sign in an otherwise turbulent year ahead!
2. He explained which companies, listed or not will go through the dire straits of the markets, explained in his view the case of an oval and not a cyclical market. Moreover he insisted that all fixtures should b via the Baltic.
3. He also gave the reasons why we might see even state or national shipping companies due to the high Daily Running Cost of ships as well as the high cost of fuel and diesel. One issue fully analysed was the Far East/China related trade which dominates the markets but also make the western economies go close to bust!
4. He commented on both videos shown, one on the freight market and one on the Maritime Tourism/Cruise Industry with Piraeus expected to receive 710 cruise vessels! He had a few disagreements on both; on the freight markets thing could go worse and also that the most capable shipowners listed or otherwise ill survive given that the winners have A1 class shipbrokers and charterers!
5. He then gave his views -a continuation from the last interview on the new law to be proposed in Greece’s Parliament with respect Shipping matters and policy, Ports etc., disagreeing with its content and asking that same should be withdrawn! ! Time will tell he said!
We look forward to our viewer comments. As usual there will be a translation into English and viewers can log on here to listen: