In this HOT PORT NEWS, read about:
* Germany, Kiel Canal – Lock chamber to close for repairs
* Australia, Newcastle – Coal terminal extension project evaluation
DATE: May 09, 2014
PORT: Kiel Canal
Lock chamber to close for repairs
The New Big South Lock Chamber at Kiel-Holtenau will be out service for
repairs from 0800 hours on 13 May until about 1600 hours on 14 May.
During this period, the New Big North Lock Chamber and the North Lock
Chamber of the old locks will remain in service.
(For information about operations in Germany contact the GAC UK Hub Agency
Centre at email@example.com)
Source: Sartori & Berger – GAC agent
DATE: May 09, 2014
Coal terminal extension project evaluation
Port Waratah Coal Services (PWCS) has commenced the evaluation of an
extension to its Kooragang coal terminal at the Port of Newcastle.
The proposed Terminal 4 (T4) Project expansion has reached Feasibility
Study level and environmental approval is expected within 2014.
It seeks to meet the increasing overseas demand for energy, ongoing
expansion of the coal industry in the Hunter Valley, and PWCS obligation to
clients. The project is a critical element of the long term export plan
signed by the Hunter Coal industry and the New South Wales Government in
According to PWCS, the T4 Project Proposal will:
* develop approximately 310ha of industrial zoned land (including a former
landfill) located west of the existing PWCS Kooragang Island operations;
* construct coal stockyards, rail facilities, marine side infrastructure
(e.g. wharves) and shiploading facilities;
* increase the annual coal export throughput of the Port of Newcastle by up
to 70 Million tonnes per annum at full development;
* ensure sufficient terminal capacity to meet long term needs of coal
For information about operations in Australia contact GAC Australia at
GAC is the world’s leading provider of services and solutions for the
global Shipping, Logistics and Marine industries.