The Thome Group has announced the appointment of a new Chief Executive Officer, Olav Magnus Nortun, who will take up the position on 1st April, 2015.
Mr Nortun, a Norwegian national, brings with him vast experience in the maritime industry, especially in the areas of strategic development and governance of production, knowledge management and systems related to ship classification.
He has worked with DNV GL for many years in different locations around the world, culminating in his most recent role as Executive Vice President of its Classification Division. He has extensive in-field survey experience and has held management and project management positions in Norway, Holland, Japan, Korea and East Russia. He was Regional Manager, Maritime Korea and East Russia in addition to Board Chairman of DNV (China) Ltd.
He is a Master of Science in Naval Architecture from the Norwegian Institute of Technology with a post graduate in ‘Management in a Technological Environment’ in addition to attending Senior Management courses at INSEAD, Fontanebleau and IMD in Lausanne
As part of the new appointment, Olav Eek Thorstensen will step aside as Group CEO but will continue as Thome Group Executive Chairman while Claes Eek Thorstensen will continue as Thome Group President.
President of the Thome Group Claes Eek Thorstensen said of the appointment:” I am delighted to announce the appointment of Olav Nortun as Group CEO for the Thome Group. Olav brings with him a broad international maritime experience which combined with the new perspectives and ideas he may have will, I believe, benefit the Group significantly in the months ahead.”
• Thome Group of Companies is a dynamic provider of integrated ship management services to the international shipping and offshore industries. Based in Singapore, and celebrating over 50 years of service, the Thome Group of Companies represents a unique combination of the best elements of Scandinavian shipping tradition with the modern drive of Asian business enterprise.
• From ship management to running offshore vessels, FSOs and FPSOs, port agency, vessel inspection, new building site supervision, and crew training, Thome offers a complete range of services and products under one roof.
• The Thome Group has grown to be recognised as one of the world’s leading independent international ship managers with more than 200 vessels under technical management serviced by 600 shore staff and 10, 000 crew members. In addition, the Thome Group has 120 vessels under pure crew management engagements.
• Today, Thome Ship Management ranks among, and is recognized by leading industry stakeholders, as one of the best performing global ship management companies with a wide range of clients from every corner of the world.
• Since the very beginning when Thome started its ship management operations, the company has built up a solid list of principals, associates and clients from Central Europe, Scandinavia and from across Asia, Japan, Indonesia and Korea in particular. Thome Group Principals are mainly blue-chip, often stock market listed shipping companies and recognised as prominent leaders in their own fields.