Our second weekly recapitulation of the markets and world geopolitics affecting same in 2015, tonight Friday the 9thof January, with John Faraclas of AllAboutShipping in London.
• The BDI closed earlier this afternoon at 709 points which is 15 points down since yesterday the 8th of January 2015, and 62 points down since last week’s 771 points. This is a 8.1% down since last week, and a 1, 538 points since the last closing of Dec 2013 at 2, 247 points, a 68.45 centum DROP!!!
- The BCI closed down 24 points at 311 which is 145 points down since last week’s 456 points;
- The BPI was also down 11 points at 764 which is 63 points down since last week’s 827 points;
- The BSI was down 12 points at 800 which is 84 points down from last week’s 884 points;
- The BHSI was down nine points at 446 which is 42 points down since last week’s 488 points.-
- On the wets now, the BDTI was the only index on the upside closing at 895 points, which is a plus 11 points since its last reporting, and the BCTI was down 2 points at 740… We shall see what happens as all wets are a multi combination with the price of oil, geopolitics and naturally the weather…in the same pot.
- The price of oil continued to drop with the BRENT standing below US$ 50!!! CAUTION, as this will trigger further geopolitical instabilities.
- The shipfinancing too, as we mentioned last week, will be a big issue, possibly the biggest one, with the Chinese doing their own thing particular in their Newbuilding sector. Mind the currency parities too…
- Listing shipping entities are struggling; very few will make it in black…
- The Liner Trade makes waves and other issues will surface…
The Geopolitical front continues to be as per our predictions with:
- The UKRAINIAN saga still in a mess, Europe in a far worse situation and the Greek Elections will not only trigger major tremors for Greece but for all in the Eurozone, whatever the result: REMEMBER this!
- Chine in entering a crisis too and Japan trying to assert other issues. North Korea continues to bother us…
- President Putin continues his game with many alternative plans to back it…
- India too is in a messy situ, caution too!
- In the US the inter tension with social issues is an issue to be watched. The Cuban “reconciliation” can hopefully produce better days for ALL; worldwide. Over a quarter million new jobs is something for president Obama to celebrate.
- The Middle East messy as always… The ISIS scam must be terminated here and now! Let the Military finish the job. The US and its allies must decide!
- The Ebola still there…
- And lastly, the latest TERRORIST attacks in France –The Charlie Hebdo massacre, will now make us more worried and it is time the politicians let the security forces finish off this stalemate but also end constructively the main cause the Middle East Problem! As these lines are written major operations take place in France and we hope they are successful. We will update you soon.
I wonder how 2015 could be a better year for the world economy… I guess lately the gurus get things wrong..!
Viewers can watch the live video herebelow:
Be on Guard on all fronts. The year begun too abrupt in all fronts and there is more on the way…Despite all these happenings, this is a great market to be in. The Shipping Industry’s prospects are an oxymoron… Never forget that airplanes take off against the wind! Have a nice weekend and enjoy the CWM FX London Boat Show which opened today and will last until the 18th of January.-