Fracino is now exporting its espresso and cappuccino coffee machines to every continent across the globe after clinching a major contract in China, selling an unprecedented number of machines to Australia – and making waves in Antarctica.
Since taking advantage of the weak pound in 2008, the multi-award winning 3rd generation family business which is renowned for selling its coffee machines to the Italians – now exports to over 70 countries across seven continents.
Success in international trade has resulted in Fracino doubling its turnover to over £4 million since 2009. Currently producing in excess of 4, 000 commercial and domestic espresso machines a year, exports now constitute over 25% of turnover.
A Chinese consortium, which owns shares in a series of restaurants and cafes in Guangzhou and Hong Kong, has commissioned its first container of machines after witnessing Fracino’s world class manufacturing techniques at first hand during a three day visit to Birmingham.
Another milestone sees £250k of machines – the highest volume ever – being exported to Fracino’s Australian division in Queensland. The manufacturer has also sealed a contract to supply Australia’s Antarctic flagship – Aurora Australis – a multi-purpose research and resupply ship in Antarctic waters which also supports Australian bases in Antarctica.
Working with over 40 distributors globally, in the last year alone machines have been sent to 13 new countries including Guatemala, Lebanon, French Polynesia and Croatia.
Fracino MD Adrian Maxwell, said: “Ongoing investment, innovation and team development is fuelling our export drive – enabling us to grow our team by 25 per cent over the last 12 months. Producing seven machines since 2008, we have invested over £3m in recent years and are proud that our export strategy has been entirely self-funding and 99 per cent driven in-house.”
- After celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2013, the family owned and run business is home to three generations of the Maxwell family. Founder Frank is the company’s chairman; his son Adrian was the firm’s technical director for two decades and is now Fracino’s MD. Adrian’s wife Marion is the Accounts Director and his daughter Rebecca joined the business in June 2009.
- Award-winning Fracino was formed in 1963, when Birmingham engineer Frank Maxwell began making coffee machines in his garden shed.
- Fracino is the UK’s sole manufacturer of cappuccino and espresso machines – a market traditionally dominated by Italian and Spanish manufacturers.
- The 50-strong team sells almost 4, 000 machines every year to customers including the Patisserie Valerie, Druckers coffee shops and Pathfinder pub chains.
- Despite the recession, Fracino has achieved double digit sales growth year-on-year since 2009.
- The company’s portfolio includes 55 products. Fracino manufacture a range of coffee machines including the bean-to-cup Cybercino machine, hand fill machines and a range of traditional machines including the stylish Romano and the new PID (Proportional Integral Derivative).
- Fracino’s portfolio also extends to dishwashers, glass washers, ice machines and water boilers.
Accolades & Awards
- · 2014 Adrian Maxwell ranked within The Manufacturer’s Top 100 UK manufacturers
- · 2014 Lifetime Achievement Award (Frank Maxwell – Essential Café)
- 2013 New Frontiers Award (UK Red Ribbon Awards – Family Business Place)
- 2013 Winner of Winners Award (EEF)
- 2013 Outstanding Export Award – National (EEF)
- 2013 Excellence in International Business (Birmingham Chamber of Commerce)
- 2013 Manufacturer of the Year (Essential Café)
- 2012 Outstanding Export Award – Midlands (EEF)
- 2009 Equipment & Supplies Excellence Award (Caterer and Hotelkeeper) for the Cybercino bean to cup machine
- 2000 A Millennium Product Award (Design Council) for the Roastilino counter top roaster
- The first company of its kind to gain the ISO 9001:2008 quality standard
- Recognition as one of the UK’s fastest growing inner city enterprises
18-22 Birch Road East
Tel: 0121 328 5757
Fax: 0121 327 3333