The International Maritime Organization (IMO) and the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh are jointly implementing a project entitled “Safe and Environmentally Sound Ship Recycling in Bangladesh – Phase I” (in short SENSREC Project – Bangladesh).
- Two studies assessing the economic and environmental impact of the ship recycling industry in Bangladesh;
- An assessment of the prevailing conditions and needs for environmentally sound hazardous waste management, including the compilation of a hazardous waste inventory, hazardous waste assessment report and the preliminary infrastructure design and site selection for a hazardous waste storage, treatment and disposal facility;
- Recommendations on strengthening the Government’s One-Stop Service, in which all the various ministries with a responsibility for ship recycling (e.g. Industries, Environment, Labour, Shipping) offer a single point of contact for related matters;
- A review and upgrade of existing training courses on occupational health, safety and environmental issues and piloting of the new training material; and
- The development of a detailed project document for a possible follow-up project to implement the recommendations of phase I.