Our twenty-ninth weekly recapitulation of the shipping markets, their respective main indices and world geopolitics affecting same in 2015 and beyond, tonight Friday the 17th of July 2015, with John Faraclas of AllAboutShipping in Athens.
- The BDI, the Baltic Dry Index, was up 39 points since yesterday Thursday the 16th of July standing at 1, 048 points which is 174 points up since last week’s 874 points! The 1, 000 point mark which was broken yesterday reaching 1, 009, is more than good news – still far beyond though the 2.274 points back in December 2013!
- The BCI 2014 was up 101 points since yesterday at 1, 712 points, which is 331 points up since last week’s 1, 381 points; volatility volatility volatility, despite same being on an upwards trend!
- The BPI was up 13 points at 1, 162 points which is 110 points plus since last week’s 1, 052 points.
- The BSI was 23 points up at 846 points, which is also 69 points up since last week’s 767 points, and
- The BHSI was up 10 points at 427 which is 33 points up since last week’s 394 points…
- The wets now: The Dirties and its BDTI index was up 16 points at 840 points which is 17 points down from last week’s 857 points.
- The Cleans and its respective BCTI was up 12 points at 848 points which is 11 points up since last week’s 837 points.-
The price of oil dropped further and now stands in the region of US$ 50… This might trigger geopolitical upheavals…
The Geopolitics front remains more or less as dangerous as ever and expect further hiccups!
- Greece, remains the world’s focal point. Following an extended negotiation last weekend an agreement was reached in Brussels between Greece and its creditors and same was successfully passed in the Greek parliament, thanks to the opposition parties’ votes! The SYRIZA/ANEL coalition lost 39 votes plus some absteintees… A rare time that we witnessed rebels with a cause… The quick government reshuffle earlier on tonight will still have the country at a stand-still, unless they swiftly act in reducing the number of public workers, in our view 300, 000 are a must to go now; privatisation the name of the game; justice for all! If these issues are not met, the country very soon will slide in anarchy. On top of anything else, Greece was hit today by nearly sixty fires… Elections now or in Autumn will benefit the opposition parties; remember this! A Thank you note Mr. Tsipras is a must from your end to all opposition MP’s who voted favouring the agreement you signed and your own MP’s (the rebels) ignored…! Those who still favour the GREXIT should be tried, both in Greece and in Europe! Things might get sour very soon. We have warned you!
- In Ukraine fighting continues and the looting of the baggage from the ill-fated shot-down MH-17 flight proves how inhumane people can be; shame! It was alos the anniversary of this despicable inhumane act!
- The Iranian nuclear deal will make the world go mad yet again…
- The Migrants drama continues from worse to worse!
- The Islamic State’s latest hit against an Egyptian warship in east Med, proves how fragile the situation is and further attacks are expected. Raping young girls by the ISIS commanders, urges us all to end this mess.Time to move in and eliminate them!
- In Indonesia two vulcanos erupted sending ash around and creating problems.
- In the USA, the Tennesse shootings with four marines dead, another shameful act!
- In Nigeria Boko Haram’s new attack yet another issue of shame!
- Hopefully we might soon see the USA and Cuba becoming fiends again…
- In Brazil president Lula might be tried on corruption charges…
The summer holiday period continues; try Paxos and Antipaxos in the Ionian Sea in Greece and Cuba!
Have a nice weekend and be on guard vis-a-vis the Greek tragedy for which Europe must be blamed for letting it happen!
Viewers can watch the live video herebelow: