Our thirty-second weekly recapitulation of the shipping markets, their respective main indices and world geopolitics affecting same in 2015 and beyond, tonight Friday the 7th of August 2015, with John Faraclas of AllAboutShipping in Athens.
- The BDI, the Baltic Dry Index, closed down one point since yesterday Thursday the 6th of August at 1, 200 points, which is 69 points up since last week’s 1, 131 points, which is 52.7 centum of the last closing of December 2013 at 2, 274 points; still a long way to go…
- The BCI 2014 was just two points down at 2, 512 points ending an upwards rally…up 305 points since last week’s 2, 209 points. What a volatility eh!
- The BPI was up eight points at 1, 021 points which is two points down since last week’s 1, 023 points.
- The BSI remained stable at 904 points which on the other hand is five points up since last week’s 899 points, and,
- The BHSI was up six points at 438 points which is 15 points up since last week’s 423 points! An overall fragile dry market. an upwards in trend, but unsustainable.
- The wets now: the Dirties and its BDTI index was down 13 points at 713 points which is 50 points down since last week’s 763 points.
- The Cleans and its respective BCTI was down 17 points at 697 points which 67 points down since last week’s 764 points. Unhappiness continues…
- The price of oil continues its fall and now stands just below the US$ 45 mark… “Caution as this might trigger geopolitical upheavals…”
The Geopolitics front remains far worse than last week:
- The Greek turmoil continues. Withing Grece, cracks appearing over the last three weeks in the SYRIZA lead coalition which might bring the government down. Can the prime-minister hold on power? Will an agreement be reached? Will same be for the benefit of the Greek people or another fiasco? Will the various SYRIZA rebels form new parties and weaken the government to the worse extent? From abroad, the lenders too must become pragmatic as their attitude might trigger despicable situations… Elections will only make things worse! Very simply: Only a government of ARISTOS can successfully rule Greece and make the real changes needed a reality! Catharsis too before things go worse; catharsis for all those who have harmed Greece and its people supported by foreign governments and companies! We are warning you, be on guard! On a better note the Athens Stock Exchange resumed its operations and we sincerely hope things will be streamlined and with the assistance of all, ATHEX will have better days! Amonth of having ATHEX closed harmed the greek economy to th worst extent! The SBC TV was on the forefront following a despicable mele, but justice shined! Excellent!
- In Ukrainian saga continues…
- The Iranian nuclear deal now brings people queuing in Teheran… Caution!
- The Migrants drama becomes once again headlines following hundreds landing in the Greek Islands, Italy and other places with politicians being unable to tackle the issue as all of them are out of any context despite rhetoric. In Greece there was a meeting chaired by the prime-minister this morning and leading ministers, as news from abroad, particularly from the BBC on hte island of Kos, being more than alarming. We have covered a few events that we witnessed during the three previous weeks – Chios and Crete, but situ, unless per our view the Hellenic Coast Guard with FRONTEX and the Greek Navy supported by a European Naval Task Force have a clear mandate goes ahead will become far worse. For a start where are the contingency plans from the EU? They all knew about this influx from war-torn Syria, Aphganistan, Lybia and other places! Turkey must seat in the dock for allowing this mess as it allows its traffickers and others make it worse… Shame! The latest also events from the Channel Tunnel speaks alone… Hundreds of lives are spared. ENOUGH!!!!
- The new Suez Canal opened yesterday. One of the world’s dire straits had its day! We sincerely hope this dual sea-passage/canal will serve better the recession stricken European Union, particularly the Med countries and the Black Sea. Panama Canal next year, hopefully will open creating a better environment too in the other side of the Atlantic! New/more Suezmaxes and Panamaxes of any size will be soon on order!
- The debris found at Reunion was indeed of the ill-fated flight MH370… Awaiting the further investigation conclusions! Tough times for the victims families… Justice will only do!
- Fires in Spain following those in Greece and California… Nasty things…
- The Islamic State must be defeated here and now; what are we waiting for? By the way are there any governments supporting them? If evidence is found, execute them all! Fairs fair!
- Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton… or who else… The race is on; a very intriguing race!
- We continue to invite the world visiting Greece and its Islands; that will counter as a plus to the troubles Greece and its people are going through. Try Japan too! The country of the rising Sun awaits you!
Finally, we repeat like last Friday: “Have a nice weekend and be reminded to stay on guard vis-a-vis the Greek tragedy for which Europe must be blamed for letting it happen and continues to make it a difficult solution. It is the Greek politicians too and the rotten establishment which brought the country of Gods to this situ.”
Viewers can watch the live video here below: