Capt. Antonio M. Padrón y Santiago, “IMO Maritime Ambassador” and Maritime Authority of Tenerife visited the stand of the “Correíllo LA PALMA Foundation” during the SANTACRUCEROS Festival, organized by City-Port Cohesion Factory (FACOCIP)
The Correíllo “La Palma” –contemporary with the Titanic- was launched on April 12, 1912 in the W.Harkess & Son Ltd. Shipyards, located in the English city of Middlesbrough.
Following her arrival to Tenerife, in 1986, the Association of Merchant Marine Veterans of the Canaries offered its selflessly collaboration, providing their technical expertise, in order to cooperate in the recovery of the ship, without any positive results.
In 1996 the witness was taken by the Canary Association of Merchant Marine Captains and contacted The Maritime Trust, English Institution specialized in the recovery and conservation of old ships (including the famous Cutty Sark, exhibited in Greenwich).
In December 1997, was established the Association for Restoration and Conservation of the Correíllo “La Palma” and then the “Canary Foundation Correíllo La Palma”, whose purpose is to collect the funds for the restoration of the ship and manage her restoration and future uses.
The Foundation continues its works, with appearances on newspapers, radio programs and television, with its presence at different fairs and distributing advertising, always keeping the idea of preserve the Cultural and Industrial Maritime Heritage represented the ship “La Palma”.
This presence is maintained by the voluntary work being carried by its members since the creation of the Foundation.
More information: http://www.correillolapalma.