Fracino has scooped a high-profile national accolade for its innovation, creativity and speed in designing and supplying bespoke espresso machines for global fast food outlet SUBWAY®.
The UK’s only manufacturer of espresso machines won the Midlands title and beat off stiff competition to clinch the Advanced Manufacturing Innovation/Creative Design Award category of Insider Media’s ‘Made in the UK Awards 2016’.
Compered by Giles Brandreth, the award ceremony was the culmination of the first week of the 2016 International Festival for Business: Manufacturing Week. The dynamic event saw Fracino recognised alongside UK and global manufacturers including Jaguar Land Rover, Nestle UK, and HydraForce.
Fracino’s SUB1, which is installed in hundreds of SUBWAY® outlets in the UK and Poland, also received a silver accolade in the Smart Product category of the manufacturer’s association, EEF, Future Manufacturing Awards earlier this year.
MD, Adrian Maxwell, said: “It’s tremendous to be acknowledged among the best UK and global manufacturers. This impressive honour reinforces our reputation for innovation and consistently delivering world class manufacturing standards. Our success is attributable to top teamwork as everyone has been instrumental in achieving our collective goals.
“We were also delighted to win the less formal accolade of ‘Giles Brandreth’s favourite company’ for creating the name Fracino by combining Frank and Cappuccino, after our founder – and my father – Frank Maxwell!”
The manufacturer is also a finalist in the New Frontiers category of the national Red Ribbon awards taking place at Wembly Stadium next month. Honouring the achievements of exceptional family businesses across the UK, Frank Maxwell is also up for the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Exporting to over 70 countries worldwide, the Birmingham-based business has also been nominated for the ‘Expert Export’ category of the SME awards.
The raft of achievements come on the back of Fracino investing £4m investment into new equipment and premises in recent years, producing 13 new machines since 2008 – and scooping 15 awards since 2013.
Celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2013, the family owned and run business is home to three generations of the Maxwell family. Founder Frank is the company’s chairman; his son Adrian is the MD, Adrian’s wife Marion is accounts director and their daughterRebecca is the service support manager. Adrian’s son David also works in the business during his university breaks.
- The multi award-winning manufacturer was formed in 1963, when Birmingham engineer Frank Maxwell began making coffee machines in his garden shed.
- Fracino is the UK’s sole manufacturer of cappuccino and espresso machines – a market traditionally dominated by Italian and Spanish manufacturers.
- The 50-strong team sells over 5, 000 machines every year to customers including SUBWAY®, Patisserie Valerie, Druckers coffee shops and Pathfinder pub chains.
- Despite the recession, Fracino has achieved double digit sales growth year-on-year since 2009.
- The company’s portfolio includes 55 products. Fracino manufacture a range of coffee machines including the bean-to-cup Cybercino machine, hand fill machines and a range of traditional espresso machines including the stylish Romano and the new PID. Their innovative Dual Fuel espresso machine range are the perfect solution for the rapidly growing mobile coffee market
- Fracino’s portfolio also extends to dishwashers, glass washers, ice machines a coffee roaster and range of water boilers.
Accolades & Awards
- 2016 Made in the Midlands Advanced Manufacturing Innovation Award
- 2016 silver Smart Product Award (EEF)
- 2015 Birmingham Post Company of the Year
- 2015 Birmingham Post Export Award
- 2015 Family Business of the Year – Midlands
- 2015 New Frontiers Award (UK Red Ribbon Awards – Family Business Place)
- 2015 Outstanding Export Award – Midlands (EEF)
- 2015 Smart Product Award – Midlands (EEF)
- 2015 Manufacturer (SME) Award – West Midlands (Business Desk Business Masters)
- 2015 Manufacturing and Engineering – West Midlands (Midlands International Trade Awards)
- 2014 Lifetime Achievement Award (Frank Maxwell – Essential Café)
- 2013 New Frontiers Award (UK Red Ribbon Awards – Family Business Place)
- 2013 Winner of Winners Award (EEF)
- 2013 Outstanding Export Award – National (EEF)
- 2013 Excellence in International Business (Birmingham Chamber of Commerce)
- 2013 Manufacturer of the Year (Essential Café)
- 2012 Outstanding Export Award – Midlands (EEF)
- 2009 Equipment & Supplies Excellence Award (Caterer and Hotelkeeper) for the Cybercino bean to cup machine
- 2000 A Millennium Product Award (Design Council) for the Roastilino counter top roaster
- The first company of its kind to gain the ISO 9001:2008 quality standard
- Recognition as one of the UK’s fastest growing inner city enterprises