Coffee machine manufacturer Fracino has produced and launched a second bespoke machine for SUBWAY® stores in the UK and Ireland.
Following the success of Fracino’s SUB1 machine, IPC Europe, a non-profit making organisation owned by SUBWAY® Franchisees in Europe, invited the multi award-winning business to produce a machine suitable for its higher volume sites.
The SUB1 was designed to meet the changing needs of Franchisees and is installed in over 500 sites across the UK, Ireland and Poland. The SUB2 is a state-of-the-art espresso machine which delivers the convenience of a ‘bean to cup’ fully automatic machine with the simplicity of traditional espresso machine and has the capacity to produce two drinks simultaneously.
Over the next few months around 40 machines are expected to be operating in sites across the UK and Ireland.
Fracino’s raft of accolades for the SUB1 include a Silver ‘Smart Product’ award from the manufacturer’s association, the EEF, in 2016 and the 2016 Made in the UK Advanced Manufacturing Innovation Award, which acknowledged the manufacturer’s innovation, creativity and speed in designing and supplying the machine.
The SUBWAY® brand and IPC Europe – a trading name of European Independent Purchasing Company – also named Fracino as its 2016 Innovation Partner – acknowledging Fracino’s creativity and how the team worked tirelessly with the SUBWAY® brand and IPC Europe to produce the SUB1.
Commented Richard Mills, Equipment Support at IPC Europe, “For both the SUB1 and the SUB2, Fracino conducted a rigorous development and testing process – taking an adaptable approach with the design and working effectively with us to develop bespoke machines that meet SUBWAY® Franchisees’ requirements.”
Fracino’s 58-strong team produces over 5,000 machines annually and exports to over 70 countries.
Fracino MD, Adrian Maxwell, concluded: “The success of SUB1 has been tremendous, and we were honoured to be asked by IPC Europe to produce another bespoke machine for franchisees in sites which require thousands of cups of coffee on a daily basis. The SUB2 launch has been smooth and successful and our powerful partnership with IPC Europe continues to go from strength to strength.”
Established in 1963, the family owned and run business is home to three generations of the Maxwell family. Founder Frank is the company’s chairman; his son Adrian is the MD, Adrian’s wife Marion is finance director and their daughter Rebecca is the service support manager.
- The multi award-winning manufacturer was formed in 1963, when Birmingham engineer Frank Maxwell began making coffee machines in his garden shed.
- Fracino is the UK’s sole manufacturer of cappuccino and espresso machines – a market traditionally dominated by Italian and Spanish manufacturers.
- The 65-strong team sells over 5,000 machines every year to customers including SUBWAY®, Patisserie Valerie, Living Ventures Restaurant Group, Druckers coffee shops and Pathfinder pub chains.
- Fracino has achieved double digit sales growth year-on-year since 2009.
- The company’s portfolio includes 55 products. Fracino manufacture a range of coffee machines including the fully automatic bean-to-cup Cybercino machine, hand fill compact machines and a range of traditional espresso machines including the stylish Romano and latest-technology PID. Their innovative Dual Fuel espresso machine range are the perfect solution for the rapidly growing mobile coffee market
- Fracino’s portfolio also extends to coffee grinders, dishwashers, glass washers, ice machines a coffee roaster and range of water boilers.
Accolades & Awards
- 2016 Café Life Society Achievement Award
- 2016 Made in the UK Advanced Manufacturing Innovation Award
- 2016 Silver Smart Product Award (EEF)
- 2015 Birmingham Post Company of the Year
- 2015 Birmingham Post Export Award
- 2015 Family Business of the Year – Midlands
- 2015 New Frontiers Award (UK Red Ribbon Awards – Family Business Place)
- 2015 Outstanding Export Award – Midlands (EEF)
- 2015 Smart Product Award – Midlands (EEF)
- 2015 Manufacturer (SME) Award – West Midlands (Business Desk Business Masters)
- 2015 Manufacturing and Engineering – West Midlands (Midlands International Trade Awards)
- 2014 Lifetime Achievement Award (Frank Maxwell – Essential Café)
- 2013 New Frontiers Award (UK Red Ribbon Awards – Family Business Place)
- 2013 Winner of Winners Award (EEF)
- 2013 Outstanding Export Award – National (EEF)
- 2013 Excellence in International Business (Birmingham Chamber of Commerce)
- 2013 Manufacturer of the Year (Essential Café)
- 2012 Outstanding Export Award – Midlands (EEF)
- 2009 Equipment & Supplies Excellence Award (Caterer and Hotelkeeper) for the Cybercino bean to cup machine
- 2000 A Millennium Product Award (Design Council) for the Roastilino counter top roaster
- The first company of its kind to gain the ISO 9001:2008 quality standard
- Recognition as one of the UK’s fastest growing inner city enterprises
For more information about the SUBWAY® brand please visit www.subway.com.
The SUBWAY® brand
- The SUBWAY® organization is the world’s largest submarine sandwich franchise, with more than 44,000 locations in more than 111countries.
- Headquartered in Milford, Connecticut, the SUBWAY® brand was co-founded by Fred DeLuca and Dr. Peter Buck in 1965. That partnership marked the beginning of a remarkable journey, which has made it possible for thousands of individuals to build and succeed in their own business
- SUBWAY® is a Registered Trademark of Subway IP Inc. ©2017 Subway IP Inc.
- The SUBWAY® brand is a committed partner to the UK Government’s Public Health Responsibility Deal and is the only QSR to have endorsed eight of the nutrition-related pledges. The SUBWAY® brand has reduced salt, eliminated trans fats, displayed energy information on menu boards, cut KJ/Kcal across the product range, increased access to fruit and vegetables as part of a balanced diet and reduced saturated fat.