A fine prologue to warm-up… and kill some time!
– The Mini-Transat La Boulangère will not set sail before Wednesday
– The competitors will have at least 48 hours advance warning of the start
– Tomorrow, the 87 sailors will contest the event prologue: a 34-mile sprint around the bay of La Rochelle
The lively wind conditions and sea state in the Bay of Biscay and offshore of Cape Finisterre mean that it won’t be possible to reschedule the race start until this coming Wednesday at the earliest. Patience is key then for the 87 women and men competing in the Mini-Transat La Boulangère 2019. Inevitably eager to get going, the sailors will make the most of tomorrow’s warm-up lap with a 34-mile sprint around the bay of La Rochelle by way of a prologue. It is due to set sail from 14:15 hours and promises to be spectacular. From 10:00 hours to lunchtime, the local public will be able to witness the boats exiting the Bassin des Chalutiers.
It’s a very special situation for the sailors signed up for the Mini-Transat La Boulangère. In the grand scheme of things, they would normally have been taking the start of the first leg tomorrow, Sunday 22 September, but the weather has decided otherwise.
“Through till Wednesday, the weather window is bolted shut”
Renowned meteorologist Christian Dumard, presently working for the Mini-Transat La Boulangère, gives us the low-down: “Through till Wednesday, or even Thursday, there will be boisterous conditions in the Bay of Biscay with the competitors being forced to punch into strong winds and high waves over a short period. It’s a very complicated situation for the Mini 6.50. After that, there is some uncertainty about how things will evolve. Another low-pressure system is set to put in an appearance on Friday, but it’s too early to tell how it will progress. The aim is for the competitors to sail in manageable conditions as far as Cape Finisterre.” Denis Hugues, race director, supports this analysis. “We’re setting a maximum limit on the seas into which we won’t release the competitors. As long as the height of the waves is in excess of 3 metres, we won’t give the start. Through till Wednesday, the weather window is bolted shut. Conditions appear to improve considerably late next week, but if we can start the race before that, then that’s what we’ll do. We’re preparing to give the competitors 48 hours advance warning.”
More info at www.minitransat.fr