Siv Remøy-Vangen awarded WISTA Norway’s LeaderShip Award
Siv Remøy-Vangen, the CEO of Maritime Bergen, has been awarded the LeaderShip Award 2021 by WISTA Norway. She receives the award in recognition of her important work in growing and future proofing the maritime industry with a clear focus on the untapped potential women represent.
“The time for action is now! And while I sometime feel I am fifty years ahead of my time, the increased interest and focus on diversity we are seeing in our industry, gives me hope that we are moving in the right direction – one small step at a time. I am deeply honored to receive this award, especially looking at the peers who have received it before me and the other nominees. It fuels me, and I will continue to work for a sustainable maritime future, where women are equally considered for c-level positions as our male colleagues,” says Siv Remøy-Vangen.
Siv has been actively involved in industry initiatives for many years since co-founding YoungShip Oslo. Under her leadership, Maritime Bergen has become even more visible, open, and engaged in mobilising and nurturing new leadership and next generation focus. Throughout her career, Siv has been heading up numerous projects directed at increasing the pipeline of female talents both onshore and at sea.
Formerly Vice President Project Management at TTS, Charterer/Shipbroker at Odfjell Tankers, and a Shipbroker Trainee at RS Platou, Siv represents decades of hard work and commitment to breaking glass ceilings in commercial shipping, one of the most male dominated areas in the industry.
“Siv Remøy-Vangen is a role model for women in the industry. Her voice and opinions are clear and courageous, she is enthusiastic, hardworking, creative, and full of collaborative initiatives. She stays true to herself, she fights current barriers and unconscious bias within our industry, while proactively pushing gender equality focused initiatives,” says WISTA Norway President, Siri Sundal Shield.
There were five other worthy candidates of the LeaderShip Award which were presented by the Nomination Committee for voting at the Annual General Meeting:
- Synnøve Seglem – Deputy Managing Director for Knutsen OAS Shipping AS
- An Magritt Tinlund Ryste – Product Director Next Generation Shipping at Kongsberg Maritime
- Lasse Kristoffersen – CEO Torvald Klaveness
- Gry Cecilie Sydhagen – Founder and CEO of Metizoft
- Maryann Bendiksen – First female Captain in Hurtigruten
WISTA Norway would like to express its gratitude to the shortlisted candidates for their contribution to increased diversity in the maritime industry.
- Women’s International Shipping & Trading Association (WISTA) is an organization for maritime professionals with 3,500 members in more than 50 countries.
- WISTA Norway consists of some 200 business and thought leaders – both men and women.
- We aim to be a major player in attracting women to the industry and support them throughout their careers.
About Maritime Bergen:
- Maritime Bergen is a member organization for the maritime cluster in the Bergen region at the west coast of Norway. The organizations’ purpose is to represent and assist its members on various subjects related to regulations, as well as projects and initiatives on how to attract future talent.
- The organization has, for over a decade, been a strong advocate for diversity.
- During the last years Maritime Bergen has grown in both member size and in activity, with a focus on decarbonization and digitalization.
About the WISTA Norway LeaderShip Award:
- Nominated candidates are presented by the Nominating Committee for voting at the Annual General Meeting.
- Nomination criteria:
Both men and women are qualified for the award, however, to be nominated the individual would need to fill one or more of the below requirements:
- Possess the WISTA values of being professional, dynamic, open-minded and dedicated
- Work to enhance competence within the maritime industry
- Bring forth new and valuable solutions to the maritime industry
- Development of new products and business models