- Topsoe’s technologies are set to reduce its customers’ greenhouse gas emissions by 12 million tonnes in 2022 alone. These reductions will not be one-offs but ongoing for the years to come.
- The key driver is Topsoe’s renewable fuels solutions, producing low-carbon fuels from waste and biomass.
- 2022 GHG reduction target reflects the company’s ambition to take the lead on decarbonization and its commitment to UN Sustainable Development Goal no 13 on Climate Action.
Roeland Baan, CEO at Topsoe, commented:
“Effectively reducing carbon emissions requires a coordinated effort from individual countries, companies and citizens. At Topsoe, we are ready to take the lead in accelerating those efforts. We have made it our mission to reduce our customers’ emissions by 12 million tonnes this year, and we will continue this work beyond 2022. Renewable fuels like renewable jet fuel and diesel are vital components in solving the net zero equation, to transform the global economy into one that is not dependent on fossil fuels.”
The 12 million tonnes target is equivalent to removing c. 8% of the emissions from the EU’s entire aviation industry.
The reductions will primarily come from Topsoe’s renewable fuels business. Today, Topsoe is the global market leader in renewable diesel made from waste and biomass feedstock. We see a growing demand for renewable and low-carbon solutions from the heavy-duty transport sector as well as from the aviation and shipping sectors. The key driver of Topsoe’s renewables fuels business is its patented HydroFlex™ technology, which can produce renewable gasoline, jet fuel and diesel from almost any feedstock, including waste-fractions, tall oil, used cooking oil, animal fats, and vegetable oils.
Topsoe also has a leading position in “blue” technologies, where CO2 from the production of hydrogen and ammonia is captured and stored safely underground, and in developing Power to X-solutions enabling decarbonization of the hard to abate-sectors such as steel, cement, and mining from electrolysis.
The 12 million tonnes target
- Greenhouse gas emissions are measured as carbon dioxide equivalents, or CO2e.
- To be categorized as reductions in 2022, the projects need to have reached certain stages of maturity during 2022.
- In 2021, we succeeded in reducing our customers’ emissions by c. 10 million tonnes.
Facts on Topsoe’s renewable fuels business
- Topsoe has won 80% of all the renewable fuels contracts globally.
- Six renewable fuels’ plants (diesel and jet) in the US and EU are already operational and running on Topsoe technology.
- By 2025, 20 million cars will run on renewable diesel made from Topsoe technology.