Only days away from the beginning of the Cypriot EU Presidency, WISTA Cyprus hosted the 4th WISTA MED Conference in Limassol from 22nd to 23rd June.
The WISTA MED 2012 welcomed delegates from Cyprus, Greece, France, Italy, Turkey, Spain and the Netherlands. Female professionals in leading positions from all over the Mediterranean and beyond gathered to celebrate WISTA but also to network and create new business opportunities and relationships.
The two-day event kicked off on Friday afternoon with a Cocktail and Dinner at Le Meridien Limassol Spa and Resort where all overseas guests had the opportunity to meet the local WISTA members. It is noted that WISTA Cyprus is one of the youngest National WISTA Associations and this was the first Regional event organized by Cyprus.
On Saturday morning (23rd June) WISTA Cyprus hosted a conference with the theme “Why Cyprus? An optimal business base”. Despite the financial problems that Cyprus is currently facing, the island is still an ideal place for shipping and trading related companies and the speakers gave excellent presentations encouraging all foreign delegates to consider Cyprus for their operations. Speakers came from a wide range of sectors within the maritime cluster and they were as follows:
- Capt. Eugen-Henning Adami – President of the Cyprus Shipping Chamber
- Mr. Solon Kassinis – Director Energy Service, Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Tourism
- Mrs. Athena Chrysostomou – Maritime Affairs Officer, Department of Merchant Shipping Cyprus
- Mr. Evgenios C. Evgeniou – CEO, PwC Cyprus
- Capt. Eberhard Koch, Chairman and CEO, Oesterreichischer Lloyd Seereederei (Cyprus) Ltd
- Mrs. Karin Orsel – President, WISTA International
- Mrs. Beatrice Witvoet – President, WISTA France
- Mrs. Despina Panayiotou Theodosiou – President WISTA Cyprus
The audience actively participated in discussions, making the conference interactive and beneficial to all attendees. It was also announced during the conference that WISTA Cyprus would bid for the organization of the WISTA Int’l AGM and Conference 2014. Members and guests welcomed this announcement with a cordial applause. The decision of who will be the hosting country will be taken during this year’s WISTA Int’l AGM and Conference, which will be held in Paris from 3-5 October.
The audience was made out of not only WISTA members but also Ambassadors, representatives of the Cyprus Shipping Chamber and other associations as well as representatives from many shipping companies based in Cyprus. There was also interest expressed by Cypriot banks, which are in the process of forming new shipping departments.
The conference ended with lunch and the rest of the day was dedicated to WISTA members who were taken on a small tour, so they could be introduced to the beauties of rural Cyprus and later on WISTA Cyprus hosted a Farewell Dinner as a thank you gesture to its Members and Friends.
It is worth noting that there was a delegation from WISTA Turkey attending the two-day event and it was mutually decided by both WISTA Cyprus and WISTA Turkey that the two Associations, together with the help of WISTA Greece, would try to find ways to co operate in a non-political manner as to the benefit of Shipping but also to enhance business relationships between the two countries.
Women’s International Shipping & Trading Association (WISTA) is an international organization for women in management positions involved in Shipping, Trading and related professional services worldwide.
WISTA aims to be a major player in attracting more women to the industry and in supporting women in management positions. With networking, education and mentoring in focus it can enhance members’ competence and empower career success.
WISTA is growing and currently accounts for over 1.600 individual members in 34 National WISTA Associations (NWAs).
For more info on WISTA, viewers can visit www.wista.net
WISTA Cyprus is the Cypriot National Association of WISTA International.
It was established in October 2011 and it accounts for over 54 members. Its members come from various maritime sectors such as Ship Owning and Ship Managing companies, Trading, Insurance, Oil & Gas, Consulting, Legal and Auditing Services etc. WISTA Cyprus is also honored to have their Excellencies the Ambassador of the Slovak Republic and the Ambassador of the Federal Rep. of Germany as members.
A five-member Executive Committee leads WISTA Cyprus:
- Despina Panayiotou Theodosiou – President (Chief Financial & Operating Officer at Tototheo Group)
- Sonia Ajini – Vice President (Lawyer at LG Zambartas LLC)
- Martina Meinders – Secretary General (Managing Director at Marin Shipmanagement Ltd)
- Jane Melas – ExCo Member (Director at EDT Offshore)
- Victoria Kostic – Nola – ExCo Member (General Manager at Aker Global Employment Ltd)
The goals of WISTA Cyprus are:
- To promote networking within the Cypriot & International Maritime Community
- To promote the development of Leadership through continuous education, sharing of knowledge and experience
- To mentor young professionals entering the maritime sector and encourage all female professionals at management level and above
- To offer seminars, training courses, workshops and conferences for supporters of WISTA Cyprus not restricted to its Members
- To form and strengthen relationships with other NWAs
- To be a valued member of the Cypriot and International Maritime Community.-
Worth noting and referring to the sponsors of the event: PwC Cyprus, Tototheo Group, Hellenic Bank, Eastman Shipping & Technical Services Ltd, EDT Offshore, Hempel Coatings (Cyprus) Ltd, Demsol Shiptech Ltd, Drew Marine, M.I.E. Group Ltd, TMH (East Med) Ltd and Zambartas Wineries. WISTA Cyprus wishes to express its gratitude to the sponsors for their very generous contributions.