– Chios, Greece 30th November 2012 – With the presence of the Founder of the “Maria Tsakos” Foundation – International Center of Maritime Research & Tradition, NGO, Captain Panagiotis Tsakos (Tsakos Group) and the Chairman of its Board of Directors, Adm. Efthymios Mitropoulos the Foundation’s Scientific Council inaugural meeting was convened at Chios on the 23rd and 24th November 2012 under the chairmanship of Dr. Stamatis Krimigis, an internationally known and distinguished space scientist.
The Scientific Council is the Foundation’s Advisory arm regarding formulation and implementation of policies and activities in line with its vision and mission. During the inaugural meeting, the Council taking into account the Founders’ aspirations reviewed and refined the Foundation’s vision and mission and established its strategic directions. These are the promotion and support of maritime research and tradition, seafarers’ welfare, education, environment, philanthropy and volunteerism.
The Members of the S.C. are well known personalities, distinguished in Greece and internationally in fields commensurate with the Foundation’s vision, mission and objectives.
Council Chairman:Stamatis Krimigis: Member of the Academy of Athens, Head Emeritus of Space Programs, Johns Hopkins University, President of the Greek National Council for Research and Technology.
- His Emminence the Metropolitan Bishop of Chios, Psara and Oinousses Mr. Markos Vassilakis
- Tom Allan: former Chairman of the I.M.O. Maritime Safety Committee
- Georgios Chroussos: Professor of Pediatrics, Athens University Medical School
- Kevin Featherstone: Professor and Chair of Eleftherios Venizelos, London School of Economics
- Fotis Karamitsos: Deputy Director General of the Maritime Transport Directorate of the European Commission
- Konstantinos Katagas: Vice-Admiral (rtd.) of the Hellenic Navy and author
- Bjorn Kjerfve: President of the World Maritime University
- The Very Revernet Mr. Patrick O’Ferrall, former Chairman of Lloyd’s Register of Shipping
- Vassilios Papageorgiou: Deputy Chairman of Tsakos Shipping and Trading
- Konstantinos Synolakis: Professor, President of the Hellenic Centre for Maritime Research
- Christos Zerefos: Member of the Academy of Athens, Professor Emeritus University of Athens
The next meeting of the Scientific Council is scheduled to take place in April 2013.