The Mid West Ports Authority is preparing for the potential impact of Cyclone Olwyn which is expected to produce winds of up to 90km/hour by midnight tonight (13 March).
Geraldton port will be closed to all shipping, commercial operations and activities not later than 1800 hours local time this evening.
In advance of the potentially destructive winds, port users are asked to prepare as follows:
1. Plan for the cessation of all commercial operations and activities before 1800 hours this evening.
2. Secure all loose items under your control in a manner which will withstand gale force winds.
Owners of small craft berthed in the fishing boat harbour are to ensure that moorings and bilge systems on their craft are fully serviceable. Power supplies cannot be guaranteed following passage of cyclone/tropical low.
The port will work closely with the local emergency management authorities for the duration of this event.
Resumption of normal commercial operations and activities will be dependent on the following:
1. The impact of the weather on the region and the ‘All Clear’ being given by the appropriate authorities.
2. An inspection of the port and its facilities by our operations and engineering teams to ensure the area is safe for operation to commence.
3. Notification of clearance to commence operations being issued by MWPA.
Further information from Midwest Ports Authority can be seen on the website www.midwestports.com.au
For information about operations in Australia contact GAC Australia at firstname.lastname@example.org
GAC is a global provider of integrated shipping, logistics and marine services dedicated to helping customers achieve their strategic goals at the highest levels of quality, safety and compliance.