The International Windship Association (IWSA) has been named as a finalist for the Ship Efficiency Awards 2015, hosted by Lloyd’s Register and taking place at the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre in London, straight after Ship Efficiency: The Event 2015, held in association with Inmarsat.
After much consideration by the awards panel of judges, the International Windship Association (IWSA) was selected to become one of the five finalists for the Initiative of the Year award.
The International Windship Association (www.wind-ship.org) facilitates and promotes wind propulsion for commercial shipping worldwide and brings together all parties in the development of a windship sector to shape industry and government attitudes and policies.
The objectives of IWSA include:
• Network – create a clear sectoral approach, grouping like-minded organisations and individuals that can share ideas, skills, as well as technical and market information for the development of commercial wind-ships.
• Promote – promote the economic value of wind propulsion to the industry
• Incubate – assist in securing funding streams, project collaboration, grant applications, research and the pooling of resources.
• Educate – act as a central information hub for the wind propulsion sector, ship owners and operators, shipyards, ports, governments, equipment producers, the media, NGOs, and the general public.
• Facilitate – initiate the establishment of common approaches/criteria for all stages of wind propulsion projects, advise stakeholders and lobby legislative bodies on policies, activities, funding and incentives required to retrofit existing ships and build new commercial wind-ships.
The second annual Ship Efficiency Awards, hosted by Lloyd’s Register and organised by Fathom, will recognise and celebrate the organisations and individuals within the maritime sector that excel in efficient operations, implement fresh thinking offer proven efficiency benefits and technological innovation.
Gavin Allwright, IWSA Secretary, responded to the announcement: “We are honoured to be selected as a finalist in the ‘Initiative of the Year’ category alongside these other worthy initiatives. This has been a big year for the association and the development of wind propulsion in general and being selected as a finalist will encourage us to redouble our efforts in the future. We would like to thank the team at Fathom, Lloyds Register and all of the sponsors and organisations that support the awards.”
The winner of the Initiative of the Yearaward will be announced at the Ship Efficiency Awards Ceremony on Wednesday 9 September, straight after Ship Efficiency: The Event.
More information on the Ship Efficiency Awards, including all categories and finalists can be found at http://www.fathomshippingevents.com/ship-efficiency-the-awards-2015.html.
About the Ship Efficiency Awards 2015
The Ship Efficiency Awards, hosted by Lloyd’s Register, will recognise and celebrate the organisations and individuals within the maritime sector that are excelling in efficient operations, implementing fresh thinking, offering proven efficiency benefits and advancing technological innovation.
The winners will be announced at an exclusive afternoon drinks reception following on from Ship Efficiency: The Event being held at the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre in London on 9 September 2015.
About Ship Efficiency: The Event 2015
Ship Efficiency: The Event, held in association with Inmarsat, will take place on 8-9 September at the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre in London. The event aims to deliver key information on solutions and strategies that can improve the profitability and efficiency of shipping operations – the drivers, the financial issues, current applications and the role efficient technologies will play in the future of commercial shipping operations.
About Fathom Maritime Intelligence
Fathom pride themselves as being the information specialists on maritime eco-efficiency. Through a unique mix of highly regarded print publications, online data portals, conferences, bespoke consultancy and more, Fathom create accessible knowledge on key challenges facing owners, operators and the wider industry through events, publications and consultancy services.