The Conference Agenda includes logistics, maritime & port international experts
The organisers of the most important regional maritime conference, Panama Maritime 17-20 March 2019, have finally contacted and confirmed the recipients of the Maritime Excellence Awards for 2019, the fourteenth version of the Conference. Of course the response has been overwhelmingly positive since the winners are a very good representation of the different sectors in the maritime, port and logistics industry.
- Panama Maritime Excellence Award recipient is SEADRILL, a deepwater drilling contractor that provides worldwide drilling services to the petroleum industry and sets the standard in offshore drilling. SEADRILL operates the youngest fleet of all the major offshore drillers. SEADRILL has recognised the huge impact that advanced technology is having on our industry and continue to put technology and digital transformation at the heart of their research strategy.
- Panama Maritime Green Shipping Award recipient is K-Line, originally Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha, Ltd., one of the most important shipping lines in the world, celebrating 100 years since its establishment. The Company it aims for four values: providing reliable and excellent services, a fair way of business, relentless efforts to achieve innovation and respecting humanity. Above all, works toward resolution of environmental problems in order to fulfill its mission of passing a sustainable society and the planet’s beautiful blue oceans to the next generation.
- Panama Maritime Outstanding Personality Award goes to Mr. Carlos Urriola, President of SSA International. Mr. Urriola is well-known in international circles as well as locally. He is considered a pioneer in implementing “value-added” services at Manzanillo International Terminal (MIT), in addition to developing Panama as a transshipment hub. He was president of the Maritime Chamber of Panama and president of the American Chamber of Commerce of Panama and of Junior Achievement. He was vice president and president of the Caribbean Shipping Association (CSA).
- Panama Maritime Social Responsibility Award winner is Hutchinson Ports – PPC. Hutchison Ports is the world’s leading port investor, developer and operator with a network of port operations in 51 ports spanning 26 countries throughout Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Europe, the Americas and Australasia. At home, Panama Ports Company has dedicated outstanding efforts and resources to provide education opportunities and scholarships to young men and women, including practical training opportunities. Additionally, Panama Ports is well-known in the maritime community for always getting involved and trying to make a difference in projects that improve the maritime industry in Panama and with a social impact.
- Panama Maritime Lifetime Achievement award recipient is Ms. Maria Dixon. She is a well-known international personality, with close to 40 years in the shipping business. Maria is the quintessential “woman in shipping”, entering the business when it was unheard of and opening the door for many other women, both in London and in Panama. Anybody involved in the business of shipping has heard of Maria Dixon, or has conducted business with her —always providing the best possible technical advise, particularly about the Panamanian Registry. She is one of the founders of WISTA International and helped set up the WISTA Panama Branch,. She has dedicated efforts to charities dealing with the welfare of seafarers all over the world
The Awards will be presented by Kitack Lim, Secretary General of IMO during the inaugural ceremony that will take place on Sunday 17th March 2019, accompanied by the Mayor of the City of Panama, who will present the keys of the City to the Secretary General, the Administrator of the Panama Canal, the Administrator of the Maritime Authority and His Excellency Eugene Rhuggenaath, Prime Minister of Curaçao.
We have also received confirmation from Dr. Antonio Pinheiro Silveira, Vicepresident of the Development Bank of Latinamerica, CAF, who will provide us with A Strategic Vision of Logistics in Latin America. In total, we have over 40 international and local experts confirmed, so the Conference will definitely be the knowledge hub of the maritime, logistics and ports industry in the region.
Panama Maritime XIV World Conference & Exhibition:The Conference celebrates 28 years of providing the best showcase for the regional maritime, port and logistics industry. The fourteenth version of the Conference will be held on 17-20 March 2019 at the Megapolis Convention Centre in Panama City, Panama. It is once again organised by the Maritime Chamber of Panama and the Panamanian Maritime Law Association and co-organised by the Canal and the Panama Maritime Authorities. The main theme of the 2019 conference is “Taking advantage of the evolutionary trends of the industry: a more ecological, digital and autonomous maritime industry”.