International Day for Women in Maritime is held each year on 18 May to celebrate women working across the maritime industry. This year’s theme is: ”Mobilizing networks for gender equality”.
A global conference of the IMO Women in Maritime Associations (WIMAs) is taking place at IMO Headquarters on 18 and 19 May 2023.
The theme for International Day for Women in Maritime 2023 is ”Mobilizing networks for gender equality”.
The IMO International Day for Women in Maritime is observed on 18 May every year.
The day celebrates women in the industry and promotes the recruitment, retention and sustained employment of women in the maritime sector, raise the profile of women in maritime, strengthen IMO’s commitment to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 5 (gender equality) and support work to address the current gender imbalance in maritime.
IMO Member States, the maritime industry, and all others in the maritime endeavour are invited to promote and celebrate the International Day for Women in Maritime in an appropriate and meaningful manner.
Learn more about the IMO’s Women in Maritime Programme here
Women in Maritime can…
Women in maritime need to be visible. To raise the profile of women in maritime, IMO is pleased to launch the video: Women in maritime can…. Watch the video here.
Message from IMO Secretary-General, Kitack Lim
See here for a message from the Secretary-General of IMO, Kitack Lim, in which he highlights collaboration and networking in the maritime sector as a way of accelerating towards gender equality.
Global Conference of the IMO Women in Maritime Associations (WIMAs) – 18 and 19 May 2023
A global Conference of the eight regional Women in Maritime Associations will take place under the same theme.
Date: 18 and 19 May 2023
Time: from 9:30 a.m
Location: IMO Headquarters – hybrid modality on the first day (Main Hall), and in-person only on the second day (CR 9)
Conference programme highlights
- Introduction of the Women in Maritime Programme and the IMO Women in Maritime Associations (WIMAs)/ Women in Maritime Can! Video
- IMO WIMAs, the road so far: Presentations by the eight IMO Regional Women in Maritime Associations
- WISTA International and the power of collaboration for a sustainable maritime future
- Presentation by IMOGENder Network and panel on “Leveraging the WMU/IMLI networks and mentorships”
- Men as allies for gender equality
- Panel on “Breaking the glass ceiling”
- Panel “WIMAs, IMOGENder and WISTA International: future opportunities for cross-cooperation”
- Development of a draft Global strategy for the IMO WIMAs
- Session for WIMAs on increasing visibility through social media and public websites.
Full conference programme can be downloaded here.
IMO invites women in maritime and everyone in the maritime industry to celebrate the day on social media using the hashtag #WomenInMaritimeDay.
The logo for the International Day for Women in Maritime in all IMO official languages can be downloaded from the logo page.
The logo concept “Symbol of Women in Maritime” derives from merging the female gender symbol and iconic maritime anchor symbol.
IMO Gender Equality Award
Nominations are being invited for the 2024 IMO Gender Equality Award.
Please download: Circular Letter No.4699 – “2024 IMO Gender Equality Award”