New head of office for Ince & Co Hong Kong
David Beaves succeeds Andrew Chan as head of the Hong Kong office
Ince & Co partner Andrew Chan, who has advised maritime and trade clients throughout a career spanning more than 30 years with the firm, is retiring from Ince & Co. He hands over the role of head of the Hong Kong office to business and finance partner David Beaves.
During his seven years as head of the office, Andrew has played a key role in establishing and developing an eight-partner team that is commended by clients as ‘uniformly excellent’. David, a senior partner in the Hong Kong team, is a Notary Public who sits on the Board of Notaries in Hong Kong and has worked in Asia for more than 30 years. He is recognised for his expertise in asset and ship finance, contractual lending and restructuring arrangements. Highly regarded as a public speaker, he chairs a number of the firm’s market-leading events in Asia.
Andrew Chan commented: “I am very proud to have contributed to the development of the Hong Kong office, the firm’s first international base that was opened 35 years ago, as well as to the growth of our office in Shanghai and the establishment of our newest Asia office in Beijing. As our clients’ interests develop throughout Asia and beyond, I am delighted that the firm remains at the heart of the maritime industry and is expanding in other areas to meet our clients’ requirements.”
David Beaves said: “We have an excellent partner team in Hong Kong and I look forward to leading the office in the years ahead. I am pleased that we are seeing strong client demand for our expertise across our core sectors. In addition to advising clients with interests in maritime and trade, we are increasingly working with new clients in insurance and aviation. I am committed to ensure that we continue to provide all our clients with effective commercial advice.”
James Wilson, Ince & Co senior partner, said: “I would like to thank Andrew for his leadership of the Hong Kong office and the guidance he has provided to colleagues and clients throughout Asia, who have all benefited from his savvy and pragmatic advice. The team in Hong Kong is very well placed for the future with David at the helm.”
About Ince & Co
Ince & Co is an international commercial law firm with over 600 people worldwide, including more than 90 partners and 180 other lawyers.
The Ince & Co network includes offices in Beijing, Dubai, Hamburg, Hong Kong, London, Monaco, Paris, Piraeus, Shanghai and Singapore. We practise English, French, German, Greek, Hong Kong and PRC law. Ince & Co Singapore has entered into a Formal Law Alliance, the Ince Law Alliance, with local law practice Incisive Law LLC.
Our lawyers advise in the core business areas of aviation, business and finance, commercial disputes, energy and offshore, insurance, international trade and shipping.
The Hong Kong partner team includes: Andrew Chan (until 30 April 2014); David Beaves; Max Cross; Harry Hirst; Rosita Lau; Kelvin Lee; Rory Macfarlane; and Gary Wong.
The team is highly regarded by Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 and Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014.
- Firm Winner for Aviation and Shipping – China Business Law Journal’s China Business Law Awards 2013
- Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards 2013 – Commodities Law Firm of the Year
- Lloyd’s List Awards Asia 2013 – Deal of the Year
- Seatrade Asia Maritime Law Award 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2008
- International Law Firm of the year for Shipping – Chambers China Awards for Excellence 2013
- International Winner for Shipping & Maritime at China Law & Practice Awards 2012
- Chambers China Awards 2012: shortlisted for shipping
- International Team of the Year Award for Shipping and Maritime, China Law & Practice Awards 2011
- In-house community firm of the year for Maritime & Shipping in Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore 2011: Asian-MENA Counsel
- Shipping & Maritime Law Firm of the Year, Hong Kong: Finance Monthly – Law Awards 2011
- Pacific Business Press Asian-Counsel Firm of the Year 2010: Maritime and Shipping in Hong Kong and Japan
- > SE Asia Shipping Law Firm of the Year 2011, 2010 & 2009 – Asian Legal Business
- > Leading Lawyers in Shipping, Maritime and Aviation 2009 – Asia Law Leading Lawyers Survey.