1) Dry cargo trade grew by 1.6% in 2nd quarter followed by an estimated 3.1% decline in 3rd quarter.
2) Tradeviews estimate dry cargo growth of 4.2% in 2014 compared to 6.4% in 2013.
3) Short sea dry cargoes are estimated to grow 4.4% in 2014 while deep sea is expected to rise 5.1%.
4) African dry cargo demand is expected to grow 10% in 2014 compared to 8% in 2013.
5) Asian dry cargo demand is expect to grow 5.6% in 2014 down from 7.7% in 2013.
6) Potash and Phosrock are the only fertilizer groups expected to show trade growth in 2014 with 10%and 7% respectively.
7) Hardwood pulp is expected to grow 7% in 2014 while softwood is expected to see no growth.
8) Trade in sawn wood and ‘in rough’ this year is expected to be similar to 2013 at 190 million tonnes, possibly linked to the slowing construction sector.
9) Lignite is continuing to show robust growth with an expected 7% increase this year.
10) Copper concentrates trade is expected to fall 8% this year to 25 million tonnes
For further stats on commodity trends please visit our website.