Our twenty-first weekly recapitulation of the shipping markets, their respective main indices and world geopolitics affecting same in 2015 and beyond, exceptionally on an early afternoon, today Friday the 22nd of May 2015, with John Faraclas of AllAboutShipping in Athens.
- The BDI was down six points since yesterday at 586 which is 48 points down since last week’s 634 points, thanks one again to volatility and global recession – don’t listen to his master’s voice business media!
- The BCI 2014 was down 28 points since yesterday at 916 points and 48 points since last week’s 634 points! Not a surprise whatsoever given this size’s particular volatile nature…
- The BPI was down seven points at 549 and 30 points down since last week’s 579 points. Caution yet again…Please do read our last week’s view on this size and its future… (a repeat to alert you all).
- The BSI was up just three points at 627 points but one point down since last week’s 628 points!
- The BHSI was steady at 327 points, the same as in last week’s closure!!!!!
A downwards overall dry market!!!
Once again, a “different” story for the …overall upwards wets:
- The Dirties and its BDTI index was down 20 points at 918 points but up 112 points since last week’s 806! This is something to celebrate! Geopolitics and climate had their say!
- The Cleans and the respective BCTI was down just three points at 668 points but overall 31 points plus at 637 points, not bad eh!!
- The price of oil remains more or less the same at US$ 60… lets see the energy jargon how it develops!
- Geopolitics continue in a total mess:
- Top of the agenda Ukraine – getting as we have predicted, from worse to worse, Greece with its unprofessional approach on the negos issue and Europe’s (and the IMF’s totally wrong approach and behaviour), the gains and despicable behaviour of the Islamic State, and the Migrants issue, now an international problem with incalculable repercurrsions!!!
- Helmepa’s event last Tuesday at the Metropolitan Hotel in Athens with Radm Paul F. Thomas from the USCG on issues relating to foreign vessels visiting the US food for thought/very enlightening!
- The Naftika Chronika / Aekaterini Foundation event on the occasion of the Greek Merchant Navy Day was more than special and well attended event; some more research though will air some interesting findings omitted by some speakers. Dr. Katerina Galani, Eleni Beneki, Radm (rt HCG) Stavros Michaelides, Demetra Kardakaris, Alkiviades Kotsaftis, Ilias Bisias and Gelina Harlaftis indeed did their utmost to honour the success of the Greeks in the administrative capital of shipping – that is London with its final development of the GSCC; the par excellence Leonidas Embirikos, the wonder-shipping mind of Stavros G. Livanos; Manolis Kulukundis, another patriarch of greek shipping; the Peloponnessian shipping surprising and man of all suspense, John Latsis; the unique Antonis J. Chandris’ perceptions and finally Aristos world – seawise and offshore! Interesting prologue/ introduction by Irene S. Daifas and a great contribution by Dr. Thanos Pallis!
- The ESPO 2015 event at Athens’ Ledra Marriott Hotel 21 and 22 of May was possibly on international stage the best ever (you can read references in other sections herein).
- Coming up:
- The BV’s Again in Chios – this is where the ALLABOUTSHIPPING team is heading…
- The 3rd Posidonia Cruise Forum 27 and 28 May…
- Mare Forums event on the 27th of May at the Apollo Divani Hotel…
- Again, check our UPCOMING Events button on top of this page…
Visit Greece and its Islands, starting from Chios… and carry on your Greek island hopping; have the time of your life!!
Have a nice weekend,
Viewers can also listen to the live video here below: