Our twenty seventh weekly recapitulation of the shipping markets, their respective main indices and world geopolitics affecting same in 2015 and beyond, tonight Friday the 3rd of June 2015, with John Faraclas of AllAboutShipping in Athens.
- The BDI, the Baltic Dry Index, was up 11 points since yesterday Thursday the 2nd of July standing at 805 points, which on the other hand is 18 points down since last week’s 823 points sawing signs of volatility and, more importantly: unsustainability!
- The BCI 2014 was up 23 points since yesterday at 1, 249, which is on the other hand 144 points down since last week’s 1, 393 points; did I hear you say: volatility!
- The BPI was up 25 points at 908 points which is 75 points plus since last week’s 833 points. Our preferred size, despite the general fall, maintains short stability!
- The BSI was four points up at 714 but seven points down since last week’s 23 points! and finally
- The BHSI was up just one point at 361 which is one point down since last week’s 362 points… Still an overall downwards dry market!
- The wets now: The Dirties and its BDTI index was down 18 points at 936, and 118 points down since last week’s 1, 054 points.
- The Cleans and its respective BCTI was up 15 points at 809 points which is 39 points up since last week’s 770 points.
The price of oil dropped and now stands in the region of US$ 55, a bit of an alarming figure….
The Geopolitics front remains more or less as dangerous as ever and expect further hiccups!
- Greece: Our last week’s view remains verbatim the same, QUOTE: expect more troubles with a government that doesn’t know how to negotiate, cannot unite at least the 80 percent of the public to back its programmes, and its now evident that they have a hidden agenda. Equally the European partners of Greece, the ECB, the Eurozone, and the infamous IMF and others are also wrongly attacking the Greek public. Having said that to avoid all this mess one thing can clear out the entire mess: A joint public TV appearance of Mr. Tsipras, Mrs. Angela Merkel, Mr.Wolfgang Schäuble and Mr. Jeroen Dijsselbloem, Mrs. Christine Lagarde and Mr. Varoufakis will clear the mess and the people know, otherwise, except the mess to govern with incalculable repercussions for the Greek people. If the above mention live TV meeting so the public will know, doesn’t take place, we need to know who doesn’t wish to appear, so we all make up our mind. Otherwise, expect more mess and the Greek public will remain in limbo and in particular Greece and its people is heading to lose everything from its PM who is unexperienced to negotiate and will rock the boat. Having said that, the opposition of ND and Pasok (the two parties who govern Greece since 1974) is to blame too. Fairs fair! UNQUOTE
The enfolding events since our last recapitulation, have fully proven our predictions ever since this medium come into being!. We witnessed a full week of major events in Greece and Europe on the Greek saga and I can tell you we must all be on guard. Add the late night interview that Mr. Alekos Flabouraris gave to SKY’s Mrs. Sia Kossioni, and it becomes self explanatory who is the real Prime Minister in Greece as well as that the Left in Greece seeks the revenge from losing the Greek Civil War as well as that they want a state full of state workers, their voters and this is why, as we have stressed, Messrs. Tsipras, Varoufakis and their teams never ever where serious or intended for any agreement whatsoever as the reforms to streamline the super-numerous state and public workers is the most crucial one. They want to be cut off from Europe. Nemesis Nemesis Nemesis to them and their predecessors! The Institutions also is to blame!!!
- Ukraine: situ remains the same; again expect further asymmetrical developments!
- The Malaysian Airlines ill-fated MH17 comes again in the spotlight as Malaysia wants to set up an international tribunal to prosecute those suspected of having shot down flight MH17.
- The Migrants issue gets from the worse to worse and Europe in general becomes …the focal point
- The Islamic State continues its policy of executions and this must come to end, as I can assure you that at end of the day it will flare up in other parts of the world; not just in the Middle East’s periphery.-
- The 4th of July anniversary is already on and we wish our American friends and family there all the very best; long live America!
As said in our last recap, the summer is now entering its best phase for holiday makers and in Greece, the country of all seasons, despite the despicable governmental handling of Greece’s debts arrangements as well as its Alternate Ministress of Tourism Elena Kountouras’ exceptional efforts, tourists are doing well and hope nothing will disrupt their holidays; same applies for the Greek tourists! Lesvos, the third largest Greek Island is expecting you; make it and enjoy the superior quality sardines meze and the excellent oily salads, the special ouzo drinks and the dozens of beaches to rejuvenate you! Other places of great interest is Santa Helena in the middle of the Atlantic and the Galapagos Islands in the Pacific close to the South American coast! Have a nice weekend and be on guard vis-a-vis the Greek tragedy….;
Viewers can watch the live video here below: