More than 1000 delegates attended Capital Link’s 10th Annual Invest in International Shipping & Offshore Forum which organized with great success and took place on Monday, March 21st, 2016 at the Metropolitan Club in New York, in partnership with Citi and in cooperation with NASDAQ and the New York Stock Exchange.
FORUM OVERVIEW & OBJECTIVE
The Forum is known for its large attendance by investors, owners and financiers. It is a meeting place for C-level executives from the industry and the finance and investment communities involved with shipping. This year the conference featured more than 70 distinguished panelists and speakers, expert leaders in their sectors presenting and examining macroeconomic issues that are shaping and transforming the international shipping and offshore markets today.
The Forum provided a comprehensive review and outlook of the various shipping and offshore markets, made more relevant by the release of companies’ annual results. In addition, it discussed topics of critical relevance to the industry such as, such as restructuring and consolidation, the various channels and methods of raising capital as well as the impact of new technologies and trading routes.
With a 10-year track record, the International Shipping & Offshore Forum, attracts 1.000+ delegates annually and is known for combining rich informational and educational content with extensive marketing and networking opportunities. The target audience includes institutional investors and analysts, private equity investors, commercial and investment bankers, financial advisors, financial and trade media, and other qualified investors.
Mr. Nicolas BornozisMr. Nicolas Bornozis, President of Capital Link, stated “This is a particularly challenging and exciting time for the global shipping industry, which is going through a transformational phase. Different segments of the market –dry bulk, tankers, container shipping – are at different points of their own cycle. A major challenge is who can take advantage of market opportunities given the new landscape in the world of finance and capital markets. Strong liquidity and access to financing are critical success factors in this pursuit, especially as traditional sources of financing have become less available.” He mentioned that this year Capital Link celebrates its 20th anniversary as a firm and the 10th Anniversary of the New York Shipping Forum. He also expressed his appreciation for the fact that this year the event was organized in cooperation with Citi, which has such a long standing and significant involvement with the maritime industry.
LUNCHEON & KEYNOTE ADDRESS
Dr. Nikolas P. Tsakos, Chairman of INTERTANKO, the independent owners tanker association and President & CEO of NYSE listed TSAKOS ENERGY NAVIGATION LTD (TEN) was the keynote Speaker during the luncheon and the Welcome Remarks were made by Mr. Christian Wetherbee, Director of Citi, Airfreight, Surface & Marine Transportation Research.
CAPITAL LINK SHIPPING LEADERSHIP AWARD
This year, the Capital Link Shipping Leadership Award, which aims to recognize the valuable contribution of an individual to the International Shipping Industry, was presented at luncheon to Dr. Martin Stopford, Non-Executive President, Clarkson Research Services. For over four decades Martin’s pioneering research, analysis, vision, teachings and publications have had significant and valuable impact to the global shipping industry and all those involved with it. Martin’s work has been widely utilized and appreciated by all market participants.
The Introductory Remarks were made by Mr. Jeremy Penn, Chief Executive Officer of The Baltic Exchange.
TOPICS AND PRESENTATIONS
Throughout the day, there were presentations from the following:
A series of panel discussion debated critical industry topics, including:
Sector Introductory Presentation:
Mr. Omar Nokta, Managing Director – Clarksons Platou Securities
- Mr. Tasos Aslidis, CFO – Euroseas Ltd. (NASDAQ:ESEA)
- Mr. Polys Hajioannou, CEO – Safe Bulkers, Inc. (NYSE:SB)
- Mr. Robert Bugbee, President – Scorpio Bulkers (NYSE:SALT)
- Mr. Stamatis Tsantanis, CEO – Seanergy Maritime Holdings (NASDAQ: SHIP)
- Mr. Hamish Norton, President – Star Bulk Carriers Corp. (NASDAQ:SBLK)
Mr. Michael Webber, Senior Analyst, Managing Director, Shipping, Equipment Leasing & Marine MLPs, Equity Research – Wells Fargo Securities
- Mr. Aristides Pittas, CEO – Euroseas Ltd. (NASDAQ:ESEA)
- Mr. George Youroukos, CEO – Poseidon Containers
- Dr. Ignace Van Meenen, CEO – Rickmers Holding AG
- Mr. Peter Shaerf, Deputy Chairman – Seaspan (NYSE:SSW)
Mr. Brett Esber, Partner – Blank Rome LLP
- Mr. Michael Parker, Global Industry Head for Shipping – Citi
- Mr. Richard Jansen, Managing Director, Global Co-Head of Transportation – Deutsche Bank
- Mr. Martijn van Tuijl, Managing Director – DVB Bank
Mr. John Imhof, Partner – Seward & Kissel LLP
- Mr. C. Tobias Backer, Managing Director – ICON Capital Corp.
- Mr. Peter Desloge, Managing Director -Maritime Finance Company Ltd.
- Mr. Sean Durkin, President – Northern Fund Management America, LLC
- Mr. Ole Hjertaker, CEO – Ship Finance International Ltd. (NYSE:SFL)
- Mr. Joe Cipolla, Vice President -Wafra Capital Partners, Inc.
Mr. Fotis Giannakoulis, Executive Director, Lead Maritime Analyst – Morgan Stanley
- Mr. Simon Crowe, CFO, GasLog Ltd. (NYSE: GLOG) and GasLog Partners (NYSE: GLOP)
- Mr. Richard Tyrrell, CEO & CFO – Hoegh LNG Partners LP (NYSE:HMLP)
- Mr. Jefferson Clarke, Head of Commercial Analytics, Poten Partners
Mr. Douglas Mavrinac, Managing Director, Head of Maritime Equity Research Group – Jefferies LLC
- Mr. John Lycouris, CEO – Dorian LPG (NYSE:LPG)
- Mr. David Butters, President – Navigator Gas (NYSE:NVGS)
- Mr. Harry Vafias, CEO – StealthGas, Inc. (NASDAQ:GASS)
Mr. Steven Hollander, Partner – Watson Farley Williams LLP
- Ms. Christa Volpicelli, Managing Director – Citi
- Mr. Andrew W. Horrocks, Managing Director, Global Head of Transportation – Credit Suisse
- Mr. Jeff Pribor, Managing Director & Global Head of Maritime – Jefferies LLC
- Mr. Wiley Griffiths, Managing Director, Global Transportation – Morgan Stanley
- Mr. Eric Schless, Managing Director – Wells Fargo Securities
Ms. Jane Freeberg Sarma, Counsel – Reed Smith LLP
- Mr. Evan Cohen, Partner & CEO – DC Maritime Partners
- Mr. Esben Christensen, Head of Shipping Practice, Alix Partners
- Mr. Ivan R. Lehon , Partner – EY
- Mr. Christoph Geck-Schlich, Chief Investment Officer – Offen Group
Sector Introductory Presentation:
Mr. Christian Wetherbee, Director – Citi, Airfreight, Surface & Marine Transportation Research
- Mr. Paddy Rodgers, CEO – Euronav (NYSE: EURN)
- Mr. Ted Petrone, Vice Chairman – Navios Corporation
- Dr. Nikolas P. Tsakos, CEO – Tsakos Energy Navigation (NYSE:TNP)
Mr. Brian Devine, Partner-US Head of Transport – Norton Rose Fulbright
- Mr. Arthur Regan, Operating Partner – Apollo Management
- Mr. Alexandros Argyros, Managing Director & Head of Investment Banking, Axia Ventures Group Ltd.
- Mr. Luke Beltnick, Managing Director & Partner – Castlelake
- Mr. Andrew Garcia, President – Brentwood Shipping and Trading
Sector Introductory Presentation:
Mr. Ben Nolan, Director, Shipping Research – Stifel
- Mr. Jerry Kalogiratos, CEO – Capital Product Partners LP (NASDAQ: CPLP)
- Mr. Kim Ullman, CEO – Concordia Maritime (STO:CCORB)
- Mr. Marco Fiori, CEO – d’Amico International Shipping SA (Borsa Italiana: DIS)
- Mr. Robert Bugbee, President & Director – Scorpio Tankers (NYSE:STNG)
- Mr. Jacob Meldgaard, CEO – TORM A/S (CPH:TORM-A)
Mr. John Gaffney, Partner – Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, LLP
- Mr. Robert J. Perri, CFA, Director of Equity Research – Axia Capital Markets
- Mr. Christian Wetherbee, Director – Citi, Airfreight, Surface & Marine Transportation Research
- Mr. Gregory Lewis, Head of Maritime Research – Credit Suisse
- Mr. Douglas Mavrinac, Managing Director, Head of Maritime Equity Research Group – Jefferies LLC
- Mr. Fotis Giannakoulis, Executive Director, Lead Maritime Analyst – Morgan Stanley
- Mr. Ben Nolan, Director, Shipping Research – Stifel
- Mr. Michael Webber, Senior Analyst, Managing Director, Shipping, Equipment Leasing & Marine MLPs, Equity Research – Wells Fargo Securities
Parallel company presentations were running in parallel to the
Capital Link’s 10th Annual Invest in International Shipping & Offshore Forum:
TSAKOS ENERGY NAVIGATION LTD
d’AMICO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING SA
Mr. Simos Spyrou, co-CFO
FORUM VIDEOS, PRESENTATIONS & WEBCASTS, PHOTOS
They can be accessed on the Forum website: http://forums.capitallink.com/shipping/2016newyork/
There is a full archive of the presentations and audio files of the panel discussions and presentations.
Also, there are video interviews with major event participants and presenters.
- Global Lead Sponsor: Tsakos Energy Navigation Ltd (TEN)
- Global Gold Sponsors: DVB Bank and EY
- Global Sponsors: Axia Ventures Group, Citi, Clarksons Platou Securities, IHS, Jefferies, Norton Rose Fulbright, Reed Smith, Seward & Kissel LLP, Vedder Price and Watson, Farley & Williams
- Event Sponsors: Alix Prtners, BlankRome Maritime, Capital Product Partners, Credit Suisse, CIT, d’AMICO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING SA, Deutsche Bank, Dorian LPG, Eurosease Ltd, Gibson Dunn, Morgan Stanley, Navios Maritime Acquisition Corp, Navios Maritime Holdings Inc., Offen Group, Safebulkers, Seanergy, Starbulk Carriers Corp., StealthGas Inc., Torm and Wells Fargo Securities
Hellenic – American / Norwegian American Chambers of Commerce, North American Marine Environment Protection Association (NAMEPA), NYMAR and Young Shipping Professionals of New York
ABOUT CAPITAL LINK
With its headquarters in New York and presence in London, Athens and Oslo, Capital Link has been active since 1995 in the field of Investor Relations and Financial Communication. (www.capitallink.com) focusing, among other, on the global maritime, commodities and energy sector. Capital Link works with the majority of shipping company listed on US and European Stock Exchanges. As an extension of its main activity, Capital Link also organizes annually a series of large scale investor conferences in New York, London, Athens and Shanghai. Capital Link has focused on elevating the profile of Shipping to a wider audience around the world, including investors, analysts, bankers, financiers and industry participants building one of the most extensive and effective marketing and interactive platforms that includes industry conferences, industry webinars, market reports and the Capital Link Stockmarket Maritime Indices. Capital Link’s work has been recognized by the 2011 Greek Shipping Lloyds Awards, by Intercontinental Finance Magazine in 2012, 2013 and 1024, the International Propeller Club of the United States and the AHI-American Hellenic Institute.