Over Tuesday and Wednesday 6 and 7 November, as part of the WTM World Responsible Tourism Day program, sponsored by BBC World News, they will speak on the exhibition floor about their passion, their activity and sometimes, even their own controversial thoughts.
Their quick-fire speeches will last a maximum of ten minutes each, spaced evenly throughout the two days, taking place in easily identifiable WTM Speakers’ Corner areas in the Asia Pacific and the Europe, UK and Ireland regions.
WTM Speakers’ Corner has been introduced for the first time this year because of the huge popularity of WTM World Responsible Tourism Day. Many delegates who would like to speak at the responsible tourism seminars and debates are disappointed.
WTM Speakers’ Corner is named after the world renowned Speakers’ Corner at London’s Hyde Park which for more than 150 years, has attracted crowds to listen to speakers who take up the opportunity for free speech.
The initiative is designed to help encourage education, inspiration and debate on year-round responsible tourism activity.
The timing of WTM Speakers’ Corner schedule will be listed in on-site publications such as the WTM Catalogue and WTM Route Planner at ExCeL London and is also on the WTM World Responsible Tourism Day website and WTM websites: www.wtmwrtd.com ; www.wtmlondon.com
AS58 – Tuesday
- 12.00 hrs Pandurang Taware, Agri Tourism, India: Pioneering a new way to address the migration of rural youth to cities.
- 14.00 hrs &Beyond’s CEO, Joss Kent, South Africa: The Way I See It: Luxury experiential travel in Africa and South Asia.
- 15.30 hrs Judy Matengo, Ol Tukai Lodge, Kenya: on the traumas of young African girls facing life without education.
- UK1230 Tuesday
- 12.30 hrs Chrispin Joseph Beer-Sheba, Kushiland Expeditions & Tours, Tanzania: how a tourist attraction can help poverty reduction.
- 14.30 hrs Dominic Hamilton, Metropolitan Touring, South America: raising the bar in sustainable building and socially beneficial tourism development.
- 16.00 hrs Iaia Pedemonte, Gender Responsible Tourism: how responsible tourism can help women with expert advice, data and good practice.
- 12.00 hrs Thomas Armitt, West Africa Discovery, the responsibility of international consultants when working with developing countries to implement tourism products.
- 14.00 hrs Jo Owen, Soria Moria/HOPE Cambodia/ConCERT: good communication bringing key community benefits in Siem Reap.
- 15.30 hrs Simon Beck, Sales and Marketing Manager, Safari Legacy, Tanzania/UK: Africa’s wildlife under critical threat from poaching.
UK 1230 Wednesday
- 12.30 hrs Sarah Allard, Lost Earth Adventures, UK: educating clients to act responsibly; outlining work of the International Porter Protection Group.
- 14.00 hrs Sallie Grayson, Program Director, People & Places: the key ethics of volunteering with children.
- 14.30 hrs Andrej Brglez, EGOZERO, Slovenia: the beginning of a journey of responsible discovery – travelling by electric car.
- 15.30 hrs Roland Monsegu, Explore World Heritage, Ireland: the challenges of marketing World Heritage sites.
About World Travel Market
World Travel Market, the leading global event for the travel industry, is the must-attend four-day business-to-business exhibition for the worldwide travel and tourism industry.
Almost 48, 000 senior travel industry professionals, government ministers and international press, embark on ExCeL – London every November to network, negotiate and discover the latest industry opinion and trends at WTM.
- WTM, now in its 33rd year, is the event where the travel industry conducts and concludes its deals.
- WTM 2011 will generate £1, 653 million of travel industry contracts, revealed independent research by Fusion Communications.
- WTM is owned by the world’s leading events organiser Reed Exhibitions (RE), which organises a portfolio of other travel industry events including Arabian Travel Market and International Luxury Travel Market.
In 2010, RE held more than 460 events in 36 countries bringing together more than seven million people from around the world generating billions of dollars in business.
About Reed Travel Exhibitions
Reed Travel Exhibitions (RTE) is the world’s leading provider of exhibitions in the travel and tourism industry. Its wide-ranging portfolio of events around the globe covers leisure travel, luxury travel, business travel and the meetings and incentives industry.
In 2011 RTE 13 events were the catalyst for £2, 807 million worth of travel and tourism business deals.
The 13 events are; World Travel Market (WTM), Arabian Travel Market (ATM), International French Travel Market (IFTM), La Cumbre, International Golf Travel Market (IGTM), International Luxury Travel Market (ILTM), International Luxury Travel Market Asia (ILTMA), Asia-Pacific Incentives & Meetings Expo (AIME) (owned by Melbourne Convention + Visitors Bureau), Global Exhibition for Incentive, Business Travel, and Meetings (EIBTM), Gulf Incentive, Business Travel and Meetings (GIBTM), Americas Incentive, Business Travel and Meetings (AIBTM), China Incentive, Business Travel and Meetings (CIBTM) and Business Travel Market.
April 2013 will see RTE launch World Travel Market Latin America in São Paulo.
RTE is a business unit of Reed Exhibitions. In 2011, six million participants attended RE’s 500 events in 39 countries covering 44 industry sectors from aerospace and aviation to beauty and cosmetics to sports and recreation.
Reed Exhibitions is owned by Reed Elsevier, the world’s leading provider of professional information and online workflow solutions.
About Reed Exhibitions
Reed Exhibitions is the world’s leading events organizer, with over 500 events in 39 countries. In 2011 Reed brought together six million active event participants from around the world, generating billions of dollars in business. Today Reed events are held throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and Africa and organized by 33 fully staffed offices. Reed Exhibitions serves 44 industry sectors with trade and consumer events and is part of the Reed Elsevier Group plc, a world-leading publisher and information provider and a FTSE 100 company. www.reedexpo.com